Sunday, May 25, 2008

Ben's Speach for Student Council

Every once in a while you have to overcome the desire to be humble and not be one of those annoying parents who always brag about their children. This is a speech Ben wrote to run for Student Council. He wrote this all by himself with a little help from me to type it up:

Winston Churchill once said “Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak. Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” If I'm elected to the student council I promise to speak for you, and listen to what you say. I am Ben Miller and I am running for student council representative. I've been a student at Horizon since Kindergarten and I'm very proud of our school.

I think whoever you elect should follow the values of being loyal, humorous, caring, respectful, unselfish, knowledgeable, empathetic, truthful, trustworthy, calm,and last but definitely,definitely,not least, extremely creative. I think these are important because all of them make an even better thing: a good well balanced person, which really,if you believe in your self and have courage is all you need.

I want to be a student council representative not for all the fame and glory, but because I think I'd be a great leader and regardless of whether or not I win, it will be a healthy experience and also very fun. I will be a good representative because you will be putting your trust in the hands of someone who is knowledgeable and energetic, who is unselfish and who has the courage to do what is right rather than what is popular.

I have had many personal experiences that have prepared me for this position. I have learned leadership through cub scouting. Acting camp has helped me become comfortable talking in front of people. Belonging to chess club for three years has taught me tactics and how to work as a team. In school we have learned many things that are important to being a student council representative including math, writing, project group and learning how to get along with others. And finally, playing soccer has taught me courage and dedication.

So I think you should elect me as student council representative because I will not only speak for you, but also listen and respond to you.

No comments: