Friday, January 02, 2009

Year End update for 2008


Well, we have been very busy and I have lots of pictures to share.

The image above is of Ben at this years Scout-o-Rama. We did a few scout activities so I thought I'd start there.

This is what our vehicle looks like when loaded to cary two scouts and two adults up to camp in the mountains... I'm kind of looking forward to when we get to back packing and our load goes way down.
One trip we took was out to the dessert South West of Phoenix where people have been dumping garbage out in the dessert for years. As a service project the Scouts, Webalos and a few cub scouts went out, camped in the dessert, and hauled a whole mess of old appliances, tires and general garbage to a dumpster on the main road.
We were treated to an amazing sunset as we rushed to get the tents up the first night:
We were all very pleased with how hard the webalos worked along side the scouts.
Everyone's favorite part was waking the refrigerator hinges off with a sledge. Ben gave it a few good wacks.
Here is the den in front of the stuff where it was stacked awaiting transport out to the main road.
And again back at the camp. A fun trip and actually worthwhile.


Moving on to some random events...


We made a trip up to Sedona before Thanksgiving. Moe and the boys enjoyed playing in Oak Creek.Both Ben and Andrew have been doing better in Chess. Ben got a 3rd place:

And so did Andrew (cell phone pictures):
Here is Andrew with his arch nemesis. This Girl always beats him.
And... here is a picture I took on the cell phone as well. We caught Andrew snuggling with some Blond!!!!

Actually, he just fell asleep at the neighbors house and when I went to go get him I could not resist posing him in a compromising position...

Ben had his end of the quarter presentation at school. The project this time was to create an animal that has adapted to a particular habitat. This is bend's Koko-paki (sp?) bird which he developed some pretty elaborate adaptations for. Pretty fun and a good intro to evolution and such.
We also took a weekend morning sometime in November to go to our local botanical gardens. The Butterfly Pavilion was still open so we had a look. Amazing little bugs.

For haloween, Andrew was a Boba Fet. (or is it Janga? I can't ever remember.) Ben was a grim reeper (boring!) and would not pose for a pictures. I guess he is getting older.
Just a random cute picture of Andrew (a littel blury... it is not your eyes):

And here is a nice random pictures of Ben. His face is really starting to mature.
Moe is pretty much outgrown being a puppy and just had his first birthday. He is turning out to be a fantastic dog... not Lou or Tisza, but special in his own way. He likes to play with the boys and is doing "OK" in obidience school (actually, he is doing fine, his master is a bit of a whimp when it comes to discipline)Ben had his second band recital. He is doing much better at playing the saxaphone. He sits in the middle back so I can't really get a good picture of him. This one is kind of creepy. I have video but in that it was only the second concert, I'll spare everyone the agony.
We have one tree in the back yard that actually sheds its leaves in fall. Andrew was facinated and wanted to rake them into a pile and jump in them. As you can tell, we had a good crop of oranges (as well as grapefruit and lemons) this year. And my tomatoes are still untouched by the bunny rabits.


Andrew had his 6th birthday in November. We had his party at the Zoo with his "dudes" from Kindergarten. All had a good time.
There was food and activities:And of course cake:
And a hug or two from friends.

Christmas snuck up on us VERY fast this year. We were really not ready for it. We did get a tree up and I have to say it may have been our best tree ever. Unfortunately I never had time to get any good pictures of it in the right light.
Andrew and Ben helped decorate:

We spent Christmas week at Uncle Bruce's and had a grand time. And of course infected Uncle Bruce with a cold.

The boys got their own computer (a Mac Mini) so maybe they can start blogging soon.
Lots more happened. But nothing super significant. We wish everyone a great 2009!

- Eric

No comments: