Thursday, November 02, 2006

Daddy Goes to Paris

I was lucky enough to have a business trip to Lyon, France this October. So on the way I decided to spend 2.5 days in Paris. A great trip and I was able to get tons of great museums in on the way. My favorite was the Rodin Museum (www.musee-rodin.fr/welcome.htm)
I also spent about 10 hours in the Louvre (with 1 hour in a fantastic little restaurant in the basement with maybe 10-15 tables. Fantastic). I spent almost all of that time in the antiquities portion of the museum looking at Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Persian stuff. The third great museum was the D'Orsay which has lots of late 1800 to early 1900 stuff including a fascinating bit on furniture and the Paris Opera. The best part of that museum was to see the original impressionist paintings. I also made stops at the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and many great restaurants.

Anyhow, as usual I took almost no pictures. Lyon was fantastic as well but I took no pictures there. Sorry.

Here is what I have.

Lots of nice bridges over rivers. For some reason I got a shot of this one...
I took the TGV from Paris to Lyon and Back. 2 hours at 200 MPH. A very very very nice way to travel. Double decker with comfy seats, tables, power, high-speed wireless internet and great scenery out the windows (lots of cows). I'm not sure it is cost effective but it sure is less stressful then flying.

This is the view from my hotel room. I stayed in St. Germain-Dupree. Nice area and near everything.

When I got to Notre Dame they were having some sort of special mass with the organ music, a boys choir and funny dressed men swinging smelly metal balls on the ends of chains. Very cool.

This is a view of the Eiffel Tower from in front of Napoleonic tomb. I didn't visit the emperor this time around. I assume he has not change in the 25 years since my last visit...


The view from the 2nd level of the tower. It was foggy that day so I didn't wait the 45 minutes to go all the way to the top. Once it got dark the view was pretty cool though.


The tower lit up.

One of my favorite things in the Louvre. A roman mosaic of some fish. Note the photoshop "drop shadow" effect that they used even back then.

No comments: